Bonita house fire caused by recalled vehicle
BONITA SPRINGS, Fla.- If you’ve bought a used car in the past few years, it may be time to double-check the recall list.
WINK News has learned sellers aren’t required to tell you if a recall order has been issued when they’re selling you a car. That information may have prevented a fire that ripped through a Bonita home Tuesday night.
The torched 2001 Ford Expedition that caused the house fire had a part that was recalled 10 years ago.
When the owner bought the car for $2,000, he said he had no idea it would end up costing the house where he lived, and nearly his life.
The homeowner told WINK News a friend alerted him to the small fire burning in the garage. The man thought he’d put it out after he doused it with water, but five minutes later it burst into flames.
The vehicle was burned so badly it’s nearly unrecognizable. Fire investigators say the fire started in its engine.
The SUV is listed among more than 4 million other Ford vehicles that were part of a recall back in 2005. The company said owners should return their impacted Fords to the dealership immediately because of an overheating issue affecting some speed-control deactivation switches.
The owner of the Ford that burst into flames says he bought the car recently and knew nothing about the recall.
Neighbors were shocked to see something like this caused by a car that wasn’t running.
Fire investigators have been out at the home all day, assessing the damage. An insurance adjuster will decide if the home is considered a total loss.